Located in the North Moccasin Mountains of Central Montana, Kendall got a later start in the mining business. Placers were developed in the area in the 1880s. Although large gold nuggets were taken out of Iron Gulch, the lack of water caused abandonment of the placers. Some pyrite lode deposits were worked next but those efforts too, were abandoned.
The boom to the district came in 1900 with the technology of an improved cyanide process. The gold at Kendall was so fine, it was often undetectable to the human eye. The oxide ore was crushed and treated by direct cyanidation. This method resulted in 90% recovery of the gold. Harry T. Kendall put in a mill in 1900 to capitalize on this process. The town was platted a year later. With the success came a boarding house, bank, newspaper, union hall, saloons, restaurants, stores, a school, a fully stocked brothel and the Shaules Hotel sporting 26 bedrooms, hot water, hot-air heating and electricity. Later came the Jones’ Opera House and a couple of churches. The Kendall Mining Company was making and average of $800 a day and over the first five years of operation, $2,500,000 of bullion was produced.
Two stagecoaches a day connected Kendall to Lewistown. The population grew to 1,500 and plans were even made for a “locomobile” to speed service and increase freight traffic but, that never came to be.
In 1920 one of the four main mines closed and that was the start of the end. Not long after, the other mines closed and Kendall became a ghost town. Some pacer mining continued into the 1930s but the town’s roar had long been stifled.